Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spousal Abuse and Interior Design

I have intervened in my share of domestic disturbances brought on by a textile decision for dining chairs. I have had husbands and wives actually bring up embarrassing details not worthy of my ears, and I have had to leave the room. Drama, emotion and decisions about details in your home are everyday occurrances to a residential interior designer. It is the one thing that takes me back to my decision when graduating from Kendall that my focus would be contract design. It was then. Now, things and I have changed.

I take the time to listen to the husband and why he does not like choice A for dining chair upholstery. Not that I am a pychologist, and not that I would say anything to sway anyone's ultimate decision. But I do say the idea behind every selection. Some decisions are family land mines. Some decisions go to personal power struggles or absent spouses, and torture that ensues once they do finally get home. I understand all that.

Bloodshed has never been in front of me. I know that there are some heated arguments about keeping grandmas curio cabinet in the dining room (wrong scale, wrong finish, and three handles are missing). Or the reuse of ten dining chairs from mother in law, that perhaps she just wanted to get rid of?

I don't mean to step in and solve marital problems... but I can add levity and that is what I usually do. Defuse the situation. Make a small joke. Get everyone to lighten up a little. But some fights just never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment