Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold Where it is Usually Warm

I kind of think it is good for them. A little Four Seasons Therapy for the masses.

I know the oranges are in danger, and the tropical animals in the zoo are all cuddled up.
But it is lovely to think about the whole world baking chocolate chip cookies and dozing in front of
a fire with a really good book. Therapy for the world just after a new decade began.

I just got a FB email from a friend that says it is warmer in Antartica than in Houston! Now that is a thought. I wonder how a cold snap like this affects design. We know how it affects the birth rate, but what about design?

More warm pallettes. No turquoise or aqua schemes. More wood, less white. More wood, wool sculpted carpeting and less granite floors. More radiant heat and less worries about outdoor rooms. I am enjoying a day of organization. Designing working spaces always does that to me. Offices, pantries, kitchens, and childrens play zones. I love to sock in and make a difference when the weather outside is frightful. Or here is a thought: Warm summer days will be here in less than 100 days. And until then, the cold will abate, and our anticipation of spring will grow and grow. Back to lime green, sprouting plants, and patio designs.
I never ever get discouraged when it is cold outside. The Michigan early years prepared me for anything by approaching it with snow pants, and boots, and then polar fleece and Uggs. We can take anything and make the most of it if we all have the right attitudes, and stay in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment