Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow, Plows, Icey Roads and Plans for the Weekend

This is the time of year when January and February calendars come out looking, digging, and creating a desperate search for FUN things to do amid the sorting, packing and decluttering from the holiday season.

I love to fill my jammed client calendar with social dates, plays, ballets, music, foreign films, and quirky mid Ohio festivals. Lets just muddle through January and February and look forward to spring, shall we? Must be the Michigan girl coming out in me. We nested during those two months. We cleaned and sorted. We baked more, crock potted more, and played board games with our children. Now of course, living my resolutions for this new decade, I am reading like a maniac. Loving my new found world again of mystery, involved characters, and imagined endings to supposedly dead heroes.

I am making the most of any free time this winter. Seems like I have an exciting life taking off again, and I want to savor all of this ramp up time with true gusto. My life has been such a wonder. Such a happy accident around each hairpin turn. I am truly the luckiest person you will ever meet. So my calendar fills, my life keeps blossoming and I am truly grateful for all of the wonderful experiences left for me.

I am going to digress for a moment, because this fact deserves it. I saw all of my children over the holidays. Does not sound like a big deal to all of you normal American families. (I know you are out there) With the trauma of late for the little corner of the universe that I called mine, it is a BIG DEAL. My children were in my arms, smiling, enjoying a moment, or a meal, or a laugh with Grandma Mix. My children were happy to be together. My children were just being themselves and growing and changing and enjoying life. I am so individually proud of each one of them. I am so dazzled by their passion. I am so enamored of their accomplishments. I am so shocked by their independence, strength and their boldness. (why would those traits shock me?) Because I worried about them and savored every positive thing I could glean from this for the last ten years, and it all came to pass. My kids are amazing. Successful, determined and doing it all on their own terms. I am so lucky. To have these five souls in my life for this time together is a total miracle.

Back to icey roads and plans for the weekend. It is amazing how simple life becomes when those that you love are strong, directed and doing it all. It give me a little bit of freedom to maybe enjoy the fruits of my labors, and relish the success that my life has enjoyed. I am now going to go back out to weather the storm for another meeting. (us Michiganders do not mind driving in the snow at all) And as I drive, in between prayers for drivers sliding and grimacing at the wheel, I will think of all of you out there that make my life such a miracle. Thanks for sharing your life with me. The intersection is divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment