Thursday, January 28, 2010

Recycling and Interior Design

Okay, I admit it. Thursdays are always my favorite days in New Albany. It is the day that all of my sorted, piled and organized recycling gets thrown into one huge bin on the Rumpke truck. I know, I know... Columbus does not separate their recycling. But I came from a community in Michigan that is so dogmatic about separating their recyclables, that if ONE thing in 8 bins is in the wrong category, they leave it all. With a HUGE embarrassing note. It does not take many of those to make you pretty into it. And beyond that, you can go to recycling centers to take everything else that they do not pick up, from car batteries, to green wine bottles. (lots of trips, let me tell you)

In a design practice there is alot to recycle. From plasic wrappers on samples, to paper paper paper, to ink cartridges, we challenge ourselves everyday to be good keepers of this planet. My youngest son is in Environmental Science, and his constant reminders of how I am recycling wrong, and how my sort could be better, and how one contaminent makes my eight bins utterly land fill fodder, gets my heart pounding and makes me almost want to drive back to Michigan on Thursdays so that I know that each kind of plastic goes in the right bin, and each piece of aluminum foil gets processed with the cans. There is just so much certainty in having it go in the right slot and you know it and your little corner of the planet is just okay. I have my doubts as my bins all get dumped by Rumpke. Not that they won't try. But it is my stuff. I feel responsible for getting it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment