Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Honored Client

Taking care of a client to make them a long term part of your practice and your life sounds very
easy. It really is if approached with all the things we learned in kindergarten. Honesty, integrity, sincere concern, politeness, consideration, and a talent beyond limits.

The biggest compliment that I receive from a client is the referral to a friend or family member. It happens often, and I am always in awe of the trust and confidence that our relationship has fostered. I am eternally grateful for this gift.

I recently had lunch with a peer in this little berg of Columbus. She is a talented designer and a kindred spirit. We both enjoy quality in life, family focus and tender times with friends. She was talking about design in Columbus and talked about design being handled as a "business". I understand from her comments that it is unusual here to have the actual business of design recognized that way. We have a long way to go, then. I think the way to do that is with the characteristics mentioned above.

The financial part of business is usually where designers are left in the dust. Paying their bills on time, taking care of their sub contractors and following through with paperwork and filing of taxes, and paying of taxes can sabotage even the most creative mind. You really do need to take care of all of it to be a success in the truest sense of the word. That is the thing that separates the dabbling self proclaimed designer type, from the real educated, respected and long term professional in our field. I am proud to be a new rising tide in Columbus Ohio, and will take this very seriously, as I always have in Michigan. I am pleased to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment