Friday, February 19, 2010

Moving in New Albany

The act of moving in New Albany has become second nature to me now. I have been somewhat of a nomad since moving out of the "marital house" in East Lansing, five short years ago. It was huge. It was perfect. It was a creation for a life that was lived with gusto and no regrets.

I now get to experience many different Georgian houses in New Albany with typically one year leases and new neighbors and adventure. I actually do not mind moving. I am not a pack rat and use it as an opportunity to clean out the old and donate it, find uses for it, and reconsider whether it is worth moving at all. Up until 50 years ago, people sold their homes furnished, and I think I understand why. Moving wears most people out. There is something about moving my art, china, casegoods and crystal that inspires me. It can make any of these Georgian homes look great. I always take it on as a personal challenge to inspire myself with how to effectively lay out the house with a different flair, or approach than is typical. I love the creative aspect of moving. I love finding recognizable places for everything. I love the adventure of setting up rooms with layouts that are different each time.

My friends tell me that I must have been from a Nomadic tribe in a former life. No, I am part of one now. Celine, Baxter and I are enjoying this. We scope out the houses, and make joint decisions about how to use which areas. We entertain constantly, and know we must support that with our choices. Poker parties on one floor, while twelve year olds cook and watch movies on another floor. We love being the destination of choice. We love inviting everyone in.

I am famous for "third day parties". Throwing a part on the third night that we are living in a house. This forces art to be hung, books to be shelved, and the kitchen organized. It always seems to be Cinco de Mayo. Sounds like we might do that again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment