Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Favorite Days

Designing soft goods for large projects is probably one of my favorite tasks. When you are also doing period design, double happiness (as they would say in China). I am becoming somewhat of a Georgian expert in the design of windows and their layers. There is nothing like a combination of swags, jabots, tails, draperies, under draperies and tied back sheers to make you a believer. I love the combination of fabrics, trims and treatments. I love the tone on tone expressions, the lux textiles and the installation meetings to strategize attachments, fullness, and puddling.

I have a wonderful task in front of me this week in the design and technical detailing of two large homes in New Albany. The soft goods are coming together in sync with the project. Large pieces are becoming established, layouts are becoming a reality and now the soft goods are pulling these rooms together with aplumb. I am enjoying my little berg more and more everyday.

This labor of love will live as long as I do. Draperies lasting 20 -30 years is not uncommon. New Albany homes typically are redone every 7 years (when the wood has to be replaced on the exterior, typically draperies are redone, as well. But the quality of what I am doing is beyond those short life spans. This is textile design art.

I truly love my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment