Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Traditional with a Twist

Defining what traditional is for most of my clients is an interesting feat. I have very few clients that follow Jamestown or Williamsburg when looking for inspiration for an interior space. (Although I have had two in my career.) It is more common to have a base of traditional pieces to spring from, with a departure or two (or many more) to bring spaces to a place of personal expression.

Recently a favorite couple that are enjoying the hunting and gathering of completing their new home defined their brand of traditional as "arts & crafts meets contemporary punch". I liked it. And it is really true. When choosing substantial pieces (especially case pieces ) for this client we are straight on - Arts & Crafts. When choosing color, texture, finishes and accents, we have a surprising touch of whimsey that has really made this new home an expression of their self confidence and of their well lived lives.

It all started when I was pouring over photographs of past homes that they have owned. I saw a life collection, of not just art, furniture and accessories, but of smiling family and friends sharing the photos. I decided that what was making all of these people be so comfortable in their surroundings was letting the "life" that this couple have lived shine through in every room. Every room shone with celebrations, yoga practices, feasts, and just hanging around on comfortable furnishings that had no sharp edges or angles. The people had no sharp edges either. They were comfy and silly and not taking anything too seriously.

As our interiors have come together, I am reminded over and over that the success of the spaces rests solely on the adaptation of their lives to these spaces, and the transport of the smiling faces to new surroundings with no interuption of it. That is a huge accomplishment and one that I am extremely proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment