Thursday, October 8, 2009

As I sit here waiting for Grandma's Apple Dumplings to finish baking

Comfort food.
Everyone has their own vision of that.
What does it mean to you and your family?

Comfort interiors are even more important.
I recently had a client that used the term
"nurture me" when she described her goals
for interior design in her new home.

We focused on soft tactile textiles that were softer
to the touch than what most people are used too.
We focused on soft lighting, and privacey in her interiors.

She needed cuddle spaces, and reading spaces, and small
entertainment spaces. She is a busy executive and cherishes
her time at home. It "feeds my soul" was her explanation.

Our accomplishment came as she began entertaining in the
new spaces and the environment supported her need for comfort.
She felt comfortable inviting people in and not giving up her private
spaces, and her nurturing spaces while the house was full of family and
friends.

We all have a vision of what personal comfort is. To some it is a space
to practice your faith. To some it is a hot soak, after the kids are tucked
in before you become a partner and person at the end of a crazy day of kids,
schedules and work. To others it is carving out "me space" from a home full
of noise, cooking, activity and entertaining.

Whatever it is to you, you must embrace it and support it with good design,
and an understanding that space like this is no accident. It is a part of a design
process where needs are established and programmed into a final product.

And now, as I pull the apple dumplings out of the oven for my returning
college son to eat before bed, I move through the house to my comfort haven.
My bath has been drawn. My bed is turned down. I am comfy and winding down
from a busy day of solving problems, and will just focus on my life, my breathing,
and sleeping like a baby. Who could ask for more? Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment