Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fall Weather Fall Color

The warm spectrum of colors is extremely inviting. Who does not look at coppers, bronzes, deep browns, and soft maples and not feel that the colors invite them into a space? This time of year we are bombarded in retail settings with ensembles that are full of warmth and richness that carry us into them, and we don't even know why. The leaves change outside, and all the greens go dramatic on us. As they do we marvel at the combinations on the horizon, or take train trips to see "fall color". Or we go to ski resorts and go up mountains on gondolas to look at "fall color". We are starting to pull out the wool sweaters, the plaid skirts, the leather jackets and getting cozy in our homes by starting a fire in the fireplace, and enjoying longer nights. This time of year is very short. Soon Christmas over rides the color pallette with much livlier displays of wrap and tinsel. So now we kind of bask in just getting ready for a family dinner around a turkey with lots of pies. I kind of like this bit of pause. I feel it every year. I prepare the house for larger gatherings of people and I am full of expectation for a family experience of just being together again.

So today as I focus on my gratefulness, I want to stop and enjoy the family hearth. The memories of lots of Thanksgivings and fall days full of cider mills, apple picking, and baking Grandma Wards apple dumplings for expectant children. I pause and think about these things and remember to make memories for all the little people that are in my life that are counting on me to give them this training. It really is the responsibility of the Mom figure to do this for the kids. We build this hearth. When things get rocky or tough, we rebuild it with different stones, or bricks or whatever material we can pull together. But we never waiver in the goal of creating a place for family to gather, even as family changes, regroups, and becomes a different group. It is all part of the growth of life. So I would like to be grateful for being able to celebrate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment