Sunday, November 15, 2009

Design has to Live with you

I get asked to design beautiful spaces everyday. The truth is that beautiful only lasts if you can live with it, clean it, and it is a space that truly functions for you, your family and friends.

In the 1900's Sullivan said "Form follows Function". Those are words that good designers live by. The most rewarding interiors are those that work for the person who will live there or work there. If it does not actually function for the tasks that are done in the space, it is not a success.

I have done lectures at the Elementary and Middle School level about Bauhaus Design for years. I always start by talking about the chairs that they sit in. I measure the size of the chair, and ask the children why the chair is 17" tall at seat height? They never thought about it. When you start to define why the parts that make up the classroom are the size and shapes that they are, the children start to relate to what furniture design and interior design are all about. When they understand the components and the active ingredients in an interior, they begin to be creative.

I knew when I was 12 years old that I wanted to be an interior designer. I designed and redesigned my bedroom so many times that it was getting a bit strange. I remember going through a phase when I wanted everything in my room to hang from the ceiling. Luckily I never even got that one started. My Mom said no. I wanted to experiment and explore what was creative and fun in environments. The desire never leaves you as a designer. When you have clients with real life demands on their spaces, you end up with programming that challenges you, and the desire to make the spaces fit the client, be within budget and then they also are beautiful is a very good thing.

I remember the first few interiors that I did. I was very very young. A recent graduate of interior design school, and so excited as each piece came in to the warehouse. I would personally inspect each piece. Then have the warehouseman carefully rewrap it so that it would not get dirty before it was delivered. I still do that to this day. The really great thing, is that I am still really excited. I envision the interior while it is being planned. I can see it in the space. My imagination is so strong, that when parts or pieces are delayed because of budget, I still see it complete. It must be an unusual skill, as I have never heard of anyone else doing this. It tends to make me very patient with a client that has to postpone projects. I know that it will be beautiful, and I have it all in my head. I can wait. Usually it is more difficult for the client to be so patient.

This is a hectic time of year. I have 8 projects that are due to land at the warehouse in the next few weeks. Each one has the details handled. Each one has delivery scheduled. Each one has it's own set of demands, creative push, and deadlines to meet. Each one is another creation that is being realized.

My clients are getting ready to welcome friends and familes into their homes. They are excited to have new pieces for them to sit on, eat at, view from afar, or be in the midst of. It is really fun to be a part of all of this creative thinking. It almost feels like I will be at all of their parties, and their gatherings. I feel very much a part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment