Monday, June 18, 2012

The Whirrr of Lawnmowers is Breaking my Concentration

The beauty of having a home office / studio is not lost on me.  The distractions that come with the territory are just "part of it's charm" as an old friend would say.  I am five minutes from 75% of my clients, and the other 25% are just worth the drive.  I have all of my resources at my fingertips over three levels.  I have my warehousing of accessories, and smaller items a stones throw away.  Need I go on?  I know you all get it.


The pitfalls, are of course with the territory.  Lawn mowers, other yard equipment seems to be whirring all hours of the weekday.  During school breaks, my house is usually full of noise, and carving out concentration spaces can be difficult.  I manage it, and actually enjoy a little background noise.  Being able to have lunch with my family is GREAT!  Running errands when the noise level exceeds workable, is always a help.


New Albany is not exactly unique for the business owner.  It is a bedroom community essentially and being here, working and launching most of what I do from here, is somewhat unique.  I appreciate the beautiful surroundings, and the ability to work 24/7 in a safe and beautiful place. I have had a studio in the Short North, and parking alone was challenging.  The energy of my own space and my own rules is good for my business.


Summer can be a distraction to any business.  But the business of design can actually be fed by the more laid back attitude.  And the kids being around makes me lighten up and remember what all of this is for.  


So go ahead, landscapers.  Make your noise.  I do not mind.  I am just here, nose to the grindstone and ear to the ground.  After all, there is something to be said for knowing everyone's gardeners scheduled day, and pattern for lawn care.  They are just outside my windows and I can just about set my watch to what goes on.  Life is not only about seclusion and concentration.  It is also about being in the moment and the the scent of a fresh cut lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment