Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Life Well Lived

Inspiration in design can come from many things. I find it in people mostly, but
oftentimes it is not the person, but the ideas that they bring to the relationship.
I love the challenge of hearing a story and maybe thinking a different way than I
might normally feel because of their perspective. That is the essence of a good designer,
it is listening and interpreting the goals, comforts, desires and perspective of your client.
Then we communicate it with our tools that we have at our fingertips.

A client that is evolved, has lived a life full of art, travel, love, reaching out to others,
and is still doing it everyday with splendor and charisma, now that is a joy to behold.
Discovering the special aspects of their lives as they settle in to a new place and unpack
boxes with quips of "I don't even know where we bought that" bring a joy that is hard to
describe. I am so lucky. To get into someones head and feel what they feel, and then
find that there is more to discover. What joy. What creativity.

I always feel that I have so much more to learn in every aspect of life. I always feel that
everyone has parts of them that are onions with small layers that may be shared or may
not be, depending on the respect shown. When people are open and welcoming and willing
to share their well lived life, I almost feel humbled by it. So honored to be welcomed in.

This season of sharing has so much meaning for me. It is the sharing of a well lived life,
a painting, an antique, a ceramic piece with chips and smudges in the glaze. It is not always
perfect, but it is so worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment