Monday, December 7, 2009

Columbus Ohio Design Mecca

Okay, so when I moved here I envisioned calm, peace, and a chance to get away from tyranny and pain. But what I did not realize that interior design is so accepted and welcomed here. I could not be happier.

As the years blow by, and I am given so much opportunity for wonderful work with strong themes, amazing clients, and appreciation for what I do, I remind myself to be thankful and aware of the differences that are presented everyday.

Michigan, and design in Michigan is fraught with delays, disapointments, budget cuts, recessions, employee layoffs, spending freezes, hiring freezes, and downsizing everything from design budgets, to allocations for basic needs. When there is a dip in the auto industry, everyone else suffers. So we suffered alot. The auto industry has been on a ferris wheel, not a roller coaster for some time. When I left in 2005, there was no design industry to speak of. There were many designers that were teaching aerobics, selling financial planning packages, and doing real estate. But design, I did not see any since 2003. I am not a quitter, and giving up is not my thing. But I do know when there is no heartbeat, and when to fold em (as they say).

Moving here was more than an adventure. Moving here was a rebirth, and an awakening. I get to see myself as I truly am. Not just as a survivor, but as a creator of life, joy and dreams again.

Christy Collection Inc. is an expression of happiness and rebirth. I have so many talented and genuine friends that I have had the pleasure of getting to know since I have been here. Many of them are clients. Many of them are involved in the "BIZ" somehow. But alot of them are just people that I cross paths with at Starbucks, the fabric showrooms, and service providers to the trade. We tend to feel as if we are building something together. It is a great feeling.

As 2009 comes to a close, and I get to pause in a hectic and crazy schedule, I want to just remember how hard we all work to get here. And when we are here, we should feel it, smell it, and enjoy it. Just for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment