Monday, March 29, 2010

Visiting a Tropical Climate and Always the Designer

It is funny for us designers. There is never really a break. No matter where we are:
a local restaurant, a hotel, a beach bungalow, a large hotel complex with many many venues,
we are always working. Gathering ideas. Seeing how other designers have interpretted architectural detail, and color within spaces. Our senses are so tuned to our work that every moment we absorb it. We can remember how the white washed walls and white washed rooftops contrast with aqua walls and pink porticos. I gaze out the window of the airplane as it lands and see a world of color. I gaze out the bus window and see the details of bright tropical tones playing against each other, encouraging us to open up our hearts and let the sun in.

We let the sun in and sit under bamboo thatched roofs that are woven and detailed in flowers and vines. We sit under a stone gazebo and we see how the stone was honed smooth with the signs of handmade tools. We look at steps and see tiles set in local grout and local shells are used for decoration at edges. We feel the coolness of this choice on bare feet. We see the sun peek through bamboo and palm and revel in the artistry of every detail that the designer saw long before we got here.

Good design never stops. Our admiration for it does not stop either. When on vacation and tuning out. I am still tuned in to every tiny detail. Every relationship of color, texture, natural materials and their unique uses. The crowd sinks in and just lets go. I take furious notes, committing not only photos to my files, but images to my memory. How do I replicate the feeling of a tropical breeze in Central Ohio on a portico that is one season of four without coming off insincere? I interpret the feeling, not the way it was communicated here. I catch the essence and celebrate it for a season with sincerity. I gather details and think of current projects. I set my brain to feel rather than see. What a delight this world is to designers like me. I am so lucky to be in this profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment